August 15, 2012

God Answers the Skeptic (Job 38-41)

"Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said: 'Who is this who darkens counsel by words without knowledge?  Now prepare yourself like a man; I will question you and you shall answer Me.  Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?  Tell Me, if you have understanding."
Job 38:1-4

So begins a four chapter long smack down that God gave to Job and his friends as they pondered why such calamity had come upon Job.  God told Job neither the reason for his suffering nor the events concerning Job that had taken place in the heavenly realm.  Instead, God asked Job question after question to drive home to him and his friends the obvious--God is God and we are not.

The book of Job reveals something important about God's character: His sovereignty.

Sovereign- "possessing supreme or ultimate power; fully independent; absolute, unlimited, boundless, total, unconditional, full; principal, chief, dominant; possessing royal power and status; very good or effective."

Eventually we must all come to the conclusion of Job:
"I know that You can do everything, and that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.  You asked, 'Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?'  Therefore I have uttered what I do not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know."
Job 42:2-3

As promised, below is a video with lyrics of Hazakim's, "Brace Yourself".  It's essentially Job 38-42 in rap form featuring Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis at the very end.  Please note that at 0:58 they are saying "filled it with" not "fiddled with" as the video's creator has mistyped.  (If you received this post in your email, click on the title of this post to view the video on my blog.)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...