March 6, 2012

In the Kitchen (Millet Porridge)

When I'm on top of my game and thinking ahead, millet porridge is an easy, yummy, (and cheap) breakfast.  Now I realize that anything with the word "porridge" in it is immediately suspect for something that might taste really bad but, stick with me here.

I start the morning of the day before by soaking the millet in warm water equal to the amount of millet (for example, 2 cups of millet and 2 cups of warm water) plus 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.  I soak it in a small pan, put the lid on, and put it in a warm place.  Soaking the grain in the cider vinegar gives it a softer texture once cooked and also releases valuable minerals within the grain making those minerals more readily available for the body to absorb.  I soak it for a minimum of 7 hours but the longer the better.

Then in the evening just before bedtime, I drain it and put the soaked millet into the slow cooker with 4 cups of water for every cup of millet.  Put the lid on it, turn it on low, and wake up in the morning to hot millet porridge, ready to eat.  We serve it with a pat of butter, real maple syrup, and frozen blueberries (this helps cool it down quickly for sensitive little mouths).  It has a nutty, cornmeal-like taste that is very delicious and satisfying.


We order our millet from Country Life Natural Foods (we have a local co-op that places monthly orders) in 5 lb. bags for less than $6 which will yield us at least 5 breakfasts.  For the children and I, two cups of millet yields a good amount for breakfast with no leftovers, or very little leftovers.  Everyone usually has two helpings.  Next time you're thinking ahead, give it a try and remember Romans 14:17!

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! We eat oatmeal....LOTS of oatmeal....too much, probably...
    Would this be a good break from our oaty regimen?
    Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keri,

    Yes, this would be a great break from oatmeal. Millet is supposed to be more alkaline for your body than oatmeal but, we do both. We just love the taste of millet (with maple syrup and blueberries)!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...