July 29, 2012

Worship Not the Creature



About two years ago I was searching for books at our local public library when a book title popped up in my search results that caught my eye.  The title was, Worship Not the Creature: Animal Rights and the Bible.   I didn't have any particular interest in animal rights but I think the title captured my attention because at that time, the children and I were memorizing Romans chapter 1 of which verse 25 says, "...who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator who is blessed forever.  Amen."  So I checked this book out from the library thinking it could possibly be a good read.  Indeed it was!

Worship Not the Creature is written by Dr. J. Y. Jones, a board certified Ophthalmologist, experienced mountain climber, big game hunter, writer, and missionary and he knows of what he speaks or, rather writes in this book.  He gives the topic of animal rights and the Bible a very thorough treatment, covering such things as the hidden agenda of the animal rights movement and how scripture has warned us of these deceptions, dietary requirements after the flood, and the difference between animal rights and animal stewardship-- the latter being what the Bible advocates.  Going through scripture, he highlights the commands God has given us as His image-bearers regarding the care, treatment, use, and consumption of animals.

Dr. Jones also explains how he came to know Christ, giving a clear presentation of the Gospel, and even includes his wife's tried and true wild game recipes in the appendices for the reader who would like to know the best way to prepare wild game for optimal taste.  I wrote a letter to Dr. Jones when I finished reading this book, telling him how much I enjoyed it and what I learned from it and he kindly wrote me back!  

I highly recommend Dr. Jones' book for any Christian who is interested in what the Bible has to say about animal rights and our role as image-bearers of the living God in the stewardship of animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...